Wed, 19 May|
Living in the Age of Outrage
Welcome to a world where the line between information, facts, half-truths, omissions, propaganda and disinformation is blurred.
Time & Location
19 May 2021, 6:00 pm – 7:00 pm NZST
Wellington, Wellington Club Building Level 4/88 The Terrace, Wellington Central, Wellington 6011, New Zealand
About the Event
We thought the internet would democratise information, facts, science and bring us closer together... but we find ourselves in a polarised world, where disinformation looks like any other information.
- Has political correctness gone too far?
- Where do we draw the line between freedom of expression and discrimination?
- In a world of extremes, how to find the middle ground?
Let’s have a conversation about today’s society — from fake news culture to identity crisis, from political sloganeering to the power of the hashtag.
- Jessica Mutch McKay, TVNZ Political Editor
- Tova O'Brien, NewsHub Political Editor
- Chlöe Swarbrick, Green Party MP
- Hon Simon Bridges, National Party MP
- Dr Bryce Edwards, Political commentator, Research Associate, Institute for Governance and Policy Studies, Victoria University
- Alejandro Ramos Cardoso, Deputy Chief of Mission, Mexican Embassy
Chair: Maty Nikkhou-O'Brien, Executive Director, Diplosphere